April 2014, Volume 3 Issue 2 ISSN#2162-8092
JESS is a professionally reviewed academic journal which exclusively publishes original research articles written by high school students. Submissions are reviewed by college professors and research scientists, who are chosen based on their expertise in the area of science that each article addresses. Our mission is to teach students to write articles in the academically accepted format, promote student research, improve science literacy, and publish the most exceptional articles.
Sherri Andrews, PhD
Curriculum and Training Specialist
Broadening Participation in Research for High School Students through Supplemental Grant Opportunities for Educational Partnerships Supported by the National Science Foundation’s Small Business Innovative Research Program
Steve Griffin, PhD
Triangle Coalition, Arlington, Virginia
The National Girls Collaborative Project: Creating Equitable Science Learning Experiences and the Importance of Publishing Student Research
Karen Peterson, M.Ed. and Brenda Britsch, PhD
19020 33rd Ave W, Lynnwood, WA 98036, USA
In School Articles
Minimizing Systematic Errors in Quantitative High Throughput Screening Data Using Standardization, Background Subtraction, and Non-Parametric Regression
Mitas Ray1*, Keith Shockley2, and Grace Kissling2
Student1: William G. Enloe High School, 128 Clarendon Crescent, Raleigh, NC 27610
Mentor2: National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS/NIH), 111 TW Alexander Dr., Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
*Corresponding author: email@example.com
Brett H. Pogostin1, Beth Schoenbrun2, Gennarina D. Santorelli3, Tessa S. Lundquist3, and Rebecca E. Ready3*
Student1, Teacher2: Scarsdale High School, Scarsdale, New York
Mentor3: University of Massachusetts Amherst, Amherst, Massachusetts
*Corresponding author: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mehr Shah1, Zeiyad Al-karakooly3, Nawab Ali3, and Patrycja Krakowiak2*
Student1, Teacher2: Arkansas School for Mathematics, Sciences and the Arts, 200 Whittington Avenue, Hot Springs, Arkansas 71901
Mentor3: University of Arkansas Little Rock, 2801 S University Ave. Little Rock, AR 72204
*Corresponding author: email@example.com
Publishing in JESS
• An article published in JESS is an outstanding addition to your college application! It will set you apart from other applicants and help improve your chances of getting into the college of your choice.
• Publishing in a prestigious journal will help you to gain internships in University labs. It shows professors that you have research experience, and that you will be a contributing member of the lab.
• Your work will be listed on multiple science databases that are viewed by research scientists world-wide.
• You will gain the invaluable experience of the publication process: submission>review>revision>publication.
• Articles published in JESS are read by teachers across the country, and have been incorporated into their classrooms to teach science literacy.